Optimizing wheels to perform with precision and control at the deep depth of the 808 Firecrest Tubular is pure engineering science. While the 808 Firecrest’s aerodynamics and stability are proven every weekend in road races, triathlons and time trials around the world, understanding how profoundly good these wheels are only comes from riding the wheel that, as a set, has proven faster than any other.
Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required us to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 27.5mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,700 grams, it more than holds its own on the climbs.
With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher also handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Tubular ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style. Triathlon legend Chris “Macca” McCormack saw this advantage early on when the 808 Firecrest Tubular was just being introduced. He opted for:
- Firecrest, and won Kona in 2010. Since, the 808 Firecrest is the go-to wheel choice when aero and stability matter most.
- At the center of the 808 Firecrest Tubular is Zipp’s 77/177 hubset with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. The result is improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility:
- Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
- Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
- New robust hub platform with distinctive graphics.
For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, an XD driver body for 177 is sold separately and easily installed to allow for more cassette options including a 10-42. The hubset is designed to swap driver bodies without re-dishing the wheel.
Available in two decal options, the stealthy Matte Black or the distinctive Matte White decals. Each 808 Firecrest Tubular wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, and quick release.
- Weight - 770g
- Hub Used - 77
- Rim Depth - 82mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 26.04mm
- Max Width - 27.5mm
- Spokes - Sapim CX-Sprint
- Spoke Count - 18
- Spoke Pattern - Radial
- Spoke Length - 226mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62bars
- Track Adaptable - No
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Nipples - Sapim Secure Lock
- External Nipples - Yes